Joint Submission to the UN CEDAW
October 12, 2016
The Metro Toronto Chinese and Southeast Asian Legal Clinic (MTCSALC) collaborated with Colour of Poverty Campaign/Colour of Change Network (COP-COC), the Ontario Council of Agencies Serving Immigrants (OCASI), and the South Asian Legal Clinic of Ontario (SALCO) on a Joint Submission to the Committee on the Convention on the Elimination of All Forms of Discrimination against Women (CEDAW). The submission was prepared with respect to the Committee's upcoming review of Canada at its 65th Session (24 Oct 2016 - 18 Nov 2016).
The Joint Submission highlighted the following concerns:
- Racialized and gendered poverty in Canada;
- Conditional Permanent Residency requirements;
- Family sponsorship requirements;
- The Live-in Caregiver Program;
- Refugees from Designated Countries of Origin;
- Lack of access to child care tax benefits; and
- Immigration detention of women and children.